Everyone loves a good venison backstrap. As whitetail seasons approach, enjoy this mouth-watering recipe from Fed by Fire's own Josh McFaddin:
- Venison Backstrap, trimmed and seasoned with Sea Salt, Black Pepper and Mushroom Powder
- 1 bunch of Cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Chipotle powder (optional)
- Salt + Pepper
- Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar to taste
- Olive oil - enough to cover all ingredients
- Heat up the smoker to 225 degrees
- Season the venison on all sides well
- Smoke to an internal temperature of 120-125F, let rest for 10 minutes
- Prepare your chimichurri by chopping the cilantro and adding to a bowl
- Add in the other ingredients and stir
Give it a taste. You want it to be spicy and slightly acidic. If it’s too acidic, add a little more olive oil. If it doesn't have enough ZAP to it, add more vinegar. Let the chimichurri marinade for ten minutes before serving.
I added a bed of charred corn cut off the cob for a little extra taste.
Phone eats first. Enjoy!